Our Engineered Timber department design and manufacture Roof Trusses, I Joists and Eco Joists to strict quality control in accordance with British Standards. Using advanced Gang Nail computer programmes our team will design and quote for roof and flooring systems, and are available to call on site to take measurements or discuss any queries you may have.
Roof Trusses are a prefabricated timber roof solution which helps to reduce labour on site thus reducing costs. This is an increasingly popular product within the construction sector and our specialist truss plant services both the North and South of Ireland with the highest quality product delivered direct to site.
I-joists are fairly new to the market but present a very practical and cost effective alternative to a concrete floor. An I-Joist is a composite engineered timber joist, combining 45mm deep high-grade finger jointed softwood flanges (C24) with a 9mm thick oriented strand board (OSB/3) web. Four flange widths are available at 47, 63, 72 and 97mm wide.
These materials have different specific properties and by combining the two materials in this way to form a composite section you can use the strengths of each one where it is needed most. This results in the new section outperforming the individual materials that it is made from (the sum is greater than its parts) making it more structurally efficient. Using advanced technology these components are combined to produce an innovative alternative to conventional construction timber with many additional advantages.
I-Joists are designed to give a superior strength to weight ratio enabling the manufacture of longer and lighter structural members. They are also:
- Capable of spanning longer distances
- Easier to handle
- Easier to fix and nail
- Less prone to splitting and delamination
- Quicker to install
- Extremely stable
- Reduces building maintenance
- Provides a less complex design solution
- Is simple to specify using superior software
- Has Part E compliant details available
- Has very low embodied energy
Eco Joist beams utilise specially engineered V shaped galvanised steel webs that join together parallel stress graded timber flanges. The beauty of Eco Joists is that they offer the same benefits as I Joists but with a free run for the installation of services. Benefits include:
- Open web system - no need to notch or drill for pipes and cables.
- Improved floor performance
- Stiffness and strength built into the floors improving floor rigidity
- Eco-joists sizes are compatible with those of solid joists
- no need for expensive drawing changes.
- Virtual elimination of shrinkage - no more call backs.
- Made to measure - no site wastage.
- Retro installation of additional services with minimum of disruption.
- Eco-joists are 40 percent lighter than equivalent solid joists - easier handling on site.
- Wide surfaces - easy chipboard and plasterboard fixing.
- Long continuous spans, reducing or eliminating the need for intermediate support walls.
Glulam is a high specification engineered timber product made by gluing together strength graded timber laminations to make up larger sections and distribute the natural defects evenly throughout the volume. The laminations are finger jointed to allow long lengths to be formed. This results in a structural unit of great strength and dimensional stability. These beams offer many design performance advantages over conventional timber sections making them ideal for use in domestic and commercial I-Joist systems where high load capacity is required. They are:
- Stiff - resulting in small deflections
- Consistent - quality assured production process
- Stable - good dimensional stability and consistent sizing
- Reliable - elimination of the drying splits/
shakes common in solid timber
- Long - available in 12m lengths
- Straight - no twist even with large sections and longer lengths