According to npower.com, 61% of the UK has not had their boiler serviced in the last year and 1 in 3 people in the UK don’t have a carbon monoxide alarm at home. It’s vital we take precautions in our home to protect ourselves and those we love against the dangers of gas.
Gas Safety Week is all about raising awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and of course: carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are five steps to help keep you safe:
1.) Check your gas appliances every year
2.) Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered
3.) Fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm
4.) Know the signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning
5.) Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly
Here are the top signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning:
- A tension-type headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Other symptoms include feeling dizzy, being sick, tiredness and confusion, as well as shortness of breath.
- The symptoms will gradually get worse with prolonged exposure: you can lose balance, vision, memory - and even consciousness.
For more information on Gas Safety, please visit: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/